SHARPS EVALUATION AND SHARPS INJURY LOG
1. Non-needle sharps and needle devices used for withdrawing body fluids, accessing a vein or artery, or administering medications or other fluids must have a built in safety feature that effectively reduces the risk of an exposure incident (i.e. needle stick).
2. A committee must be established, which includes non-managerial employees responsible for direct patient care who are potentially exposed to injuries from contaminated sharps.
3. This committee is to identify, evaluate and select needle and non-needle sharps with built in safety devices.
4. This committee may select different devices for different job tasks. However, the employer (UA) is not required to provide different devices for each area with similar job tasks.
5. If an employee is physically unable to use the selected device, the employer must provide a device that can be used.
6. Committee minutes and decisions shall be documented.
7. Interactive, hands on training shall be provided for employees who will use the selected devices. Training shall be documented.
Sharps Injury Log
Complete a Log record for each exposure incident involving a sharp. The exposure incident shall be recorded on the log within 14 working days of the date the incident is reported.
Institution:___________________________________ Building: ______________________
Address: ____________________________________ Date filled out: _________________
Filled out by _________________________________ Phone no. _____________________
As relates to the incident:
Name of person injured: _________________________________
Job title: _____________________________________________
Date of injury: _____________Time of injury: _______ Department ___________________
Room where injured: _________________________________
Type of sharp involved: _______________________________
Brand of sharp involved: ______________________________
(e.g. 18g needle/ABC Medical/"no stick" syringe)
Procedure being performed at the time of incident: ___________________________________________________________________________
How the incident occurred: ___________________________________________________________________________
The body part involved in the exposure incident: ____________________________________
Was the sharp's protective mechanism activated? __________________
If applicable, did the injury occur :
Before the mechanism was activated? _____
During activation of the mechanism? ______
After activation of the mechanism? _______