Work Life Resources

Worklife Matters Overview | Childcare Resources | Education Benefits | Eldercare Resources |

Health & Wellness | Employee Assistance Program | Lactation Support


Summer Camp Information

There is a great variety of camp and learning options for children and youth during the summer months.  Check out the Graduate Parent Support website for links to UA K-12 Summer Programs, UA Athletic Camps, and an extended list of area camps. ( There is information ranging from one day camps, summer long camps, residential camps and even free camps!  When considering what is out there, it is important to think about your child’s interests and abilities, and whether your child is ready for a day camp or a residential camp. 
Before choosing summer camps for your children, check out the following tip sheets on UA’s Work Life website.

Summer Camp Tips for Parents

Solutions for Managing Summer Child Care



Work Life Resources

The University of Alabama recognizes the challenges of balancing work and family life.  We are committed to providing programs and resources that help address these needs.  We hope you find these tools useful as we continuously strive to recruit and support the best and brightest faculty & staff and their families. If you have questions about any of these resources, please contact the Department of Human Resources at 348-6690. If you have questions about any of these resources, please contact the Department of Human Resources at 348-6690.

Childcare Resources

The Child Development Research Center, completed in the summer of 2005, is dedicated to being a leader in the study of young children.  The CDRC is a state-of-the-art, 64,000 sq-ft research facility equipped with the latest multi-media research technology, 7 large research suites, and 8 research rooms.  The CDRC also has 10 children's classrooms, complete with research and observation booths and access to a playground, which accommodate an on-site children's program.  The Children's Program is a laboratory school that enrolls  students ages 0 - 5 yrs.  In addition the CDRC houses Child Development Resources, which helps families across the state of Alabama provide a safe, loving, and enriching life for their young children.


The RISE Program is designed to serve both young children with physical disabilities from birth to five years of age and to provide family-centered services designed to meet individualized needs of all young children and families. RISE also provides a blend of educational therapy services within the context of a developmentally appropriate curriculum and prepares children for the transition to the next educational environment. 


Parenting Assistance Line: Parenting can be tough.  All parents have times of frustration or stress over the difficulties of raising a child.  The University of Alabama Child Development Resources and Alabama Children’s Trust Fund have partnered to provide a Parenting Assistance Line that can be reached at (866) 962-3030.  Parenting resource specialists are available to listen and offer helpful information and support Monday through Friday from 8am to 8pm.  Messages can be left at any time.  Callers can also request literature about their specific parenting concerns and ask for a comprehensive list of local childcare centers.  Calls are free and confidential.


Parent Resource Library, located in the Child Development Resource Center, has many excellent books, videos, music, parent-child activity kits, and age specific toy totes that are available for checkout. You can also call 348-2232 for more information.

BabyTALK (Teaching Activities for Learning and Knowledge) is a free program offered at the Child Development Research Center that incorporates songs, stories, and age-appropriate activities for children age birth to 3 and their caregiver.  It also provides a chance for parents to talk about parenting challenges and questions.  Call Leslie Guy at 348-2235 or stop by the CDRC for more information about this wonderful resource.


The University of Alabama’s Speech and Hearing Center offers a variety of services for children and adults. Some of their services include:  counseling, speech and language evaluations, speech and language therapy for children and adults, a full range of hearing evaluations, computerized hearing-aid fitting, dispensing, and repair.  The Speech and Hearing Center can be contacted at (205) 348-7131.


UA Psychology Clinic, located in the McMillan Building, is a mental health clinic that provides a broad range of diagnostic, intervention, and supportive services.

UA Autism Spectrum Disorders Clinic provides support to individuals and families affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder as well as professionals in West Alabama through clinical services, research and professional training.

UA Capstone Family Therapy Clinic provides our community with help in resolving personal problems. They work with individuals, couples, and families in clarifying issues, exploring options, and finding solutions to your problems.

Community Music School and Kindermusic Program is an outreach program of the School of Music located in the Moody Music Building.  Students of all ages and abilities are invited to participate in events designed to enrich quality of life through exposure and study of the arts. Classes, lessons, and ensembles are offered year round. The CMS also offers a thriving Kindermusik program, which introduces the foundations of music to infants and young children. Sign-up for a free, one-time, introductory Kindermusik class by calling 205-348-6741 or contacting Dr. Jane Weigel, program coordinator, at


Big Al's Kid's Club: Sign-up your children to be a part of Big Al’s Kid’s Club and, as members, your children will receive a Big Al’s Kids Club T-Shirt, a Big Al’s Kids Club Membership Card, a signed photo from Big Al, a birthday card from Big Al, a cookie coupon to McAlister’s Deli, invitations to exclusive events for Big Al’s Kids Club Members, and FREE admission to select Alabama Athletic Events. Roll Tide!


The University of Alabama’s Flexible Spending Account program for dependent care provides University employees the opportunity to create a pre-tax account to help pay for dependent care expenses.  The program is administered through FlexCorp.


Family Friendly Calendar of Community Events

Education Benefits

The University of Alabama offers educational benefits and special training opportunities for eligible faculty and staff. Benefit details can be found here.

Dual Career Assistance
The University of Alabama appreciates the challenges that dual career couples face. As a result, we make every effort to offer resources for new faculty and professional staff. While we are not a placement service, we offer information we hope will be of benefit in your employment search. Click here to locate a number of links to both internal and external resources. For more information please contact Charlotte Harris at 348-6690.

Eldercare Resources

The mission of the University of Alabama's Center for Mental Health and Aging (CMHA) is to develop new knowledge, test new interventions, and disseminate information related to mental health and aging. CMHA has four primary focus areas:  Elder Caregiving, Mental Health of Rural Elders, Quality of Care in Institutional Settings and Palliative Care and End-of-Life Issues.  CMHA conducts a regular Scientific Seminar Series on a variety of age related topics.  The CMHA is also available to present to groups upon request.  For more information, the CMHA can be contacted at (205) 348-7518.

The University of Alabama’s Speech and Hearing Center offers a variety of services.  Some of their services include:  counseling, speech and language evaluations, speech and language therapy for children and adults, a full range of hearing evaluations, computerized hearing-aid fitting, dispensing, and repair.  The Speech and Hearing Center can be contacted at (205) 348-7131.

Osher Lifelong Learning Institute At UA educational programs are centered on courses developed by and often taught by its members, who volunteer their time and talents to share their knowledge and interests with other members.  This academic cooperative provides mature adults with opportunities for intellectual stimulation, cultural development, and social interaction. 

The Tuscaloosa area has a number of retirement communities. Capstone Village is a retirement community developed in partnership with the University of Alabama.  Capstone Village overlooks the University of Alabama campus and offers transportation, medical care, rehabilitation therapy, fitness and social activities and shopping.  For more information, call (205) 248-0028 or (800) 799-5099.

Employee Assistance Program

The Employee Assistance Program offers free counseling services, training, education, and online site crisis intervention. The EAP is intended to help employees more effectively deal with the stress of juggling the demands of work, family and other obligations.  The program is confidential and is contracted through the DCH Employee Assistance Program.  The EAP provides professionally trained counselors equipped to help with a variety of life challenges. For an appointment call (205)759-7890 or (866) 840-0750 or click here to view their extensive resources.

Health & Wellness

Employee Health Promotion and Wellness Program: Launched in 2007, this office provides faculty and staff with resources to improve quality of life through the adoption of healthier lifestyle behaviors. The programs focus on five key areas of health improvement and maintenance: nutrition and weight control; tobacco control; prevention and self-care; physical activity; and life balance. The office's signature program is WellBama, a wellness screening and health coaching program that assists employees with the identification and understanding of key factors relating to a healthy lifestyle (cholesterol, glucose, blood pressure and much more), combined with a personalized coaching session with a wellness expert. (205) 348-0077

Benefits package.  The University of Alabama provides a comprehensive benefits package. In addition to top-notch medical benefits, the University offers a generous leave policy including annual, sick and holiday leave, as well as employee/family-friendly leave of absence policies.   For a complete employee benefits summary, click on the benefits link above.

University Medical Center: The University of Alabama offers a wide array of medical resources.  The University Medical Center provides a walk-in clinic for faculty, staff and their families who are covered under The University of Alabama medical insurance (Blue Cross/Blue Shield). The clinic is staffed by Board Certified Nurse Practitioners who treat urgent non-emergency complaints such as minor injuries, respiratory complaints, fever, coughs, sore throats and minor eye infections. Lab and radiology services are available in-house in most cases. Physician consultations are readily available when needed. No appointments are taken or needed.  The University Medical Center can be contacted at (205) 348-5030.

University Recreation: The University of Alabama is home to some of the finest recreational facilities in the country. University Recreation's offerings include a Recreation Center with state of the art resistance and cardiovascular equipment, basketball, volleyball, racquetball and multi-purpose courts, a suspended running track and indoor climbing wall.  The Recreation Center also houses the Outdoor Recreation office which offers equipment rental, an onsite bicycle repair shop and a variety of outdoor programs.  The University’s Aquatic Center contains indoor lap pools and an additional workout facility.  For individuals preferring to exercise outdoors, the University’s tennis and outdoor pool complex provide great opportunities.  For those wanting to keep it simple, the beautiful campus provides miles of paths great for walking, running or biking.  University Recreation has a number of family friendly policies that will make fitness fun for the whole family.  For more information, contact University Recreation at (205) 348 5164.


Leave Policies
Family and Medical Leave  An eligible employee may take up to 12 work weeks of Family and Medical Leave (FML) within any 12 month rolling period and be restored to the same or to an equivalent position upon their return. Qualifying employees may take up to 26 workweeks in a 12 month period for Military Caregiver Leave. This leave is calculated using the 12 month period from the date Military Caregiver leave begins, not the usual 12 month rolling period.

Maternity Leave guidelines for 9 month faculty: The Faculty Handbook permits paid maternity leave for nine month faculty members to cover “recovery from pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion, childbirth, and from any resulting disabilities.” Those eligible for paid maternity leave are nine month female faculty members who are tenured, probationary, or those who have been in a temporary contract status for at least one year at the time the leave begins. These guidelines are predicated on the expectation that colleges will work with these nine month faculty to provide eight weeks of paid leave provided the baby is born during the academic year or close to the beginning of the academic year.

Tenure-Clock Extension Policy Upon the birth or adoption of a child, a faculty member holding a tenure-accruing appointment will be granted a one-year extension of the date on which the probationary period would end. Only one such extension is allowed per faculty member. A written notice must be provided to the Department Head, the Dean, and the Provost within six months of birth or adoption and no later than the December 15th prior to the October 1st on which the original mandatory tenure application was to be made. During this extension the retention process continues, with the probationary candidate receiving normal feedback from the department about job performance.

Faculty Sabbatical: The University offers tenured faculty members opportunities to apply for sabbatical leaves to engage in activities designed for professional growth, development, and renewal. The goal of a sabbatical leave is to enhance the professional effectiveness of the faculty member and to enrich the academic climate of the University.

Administrative Sabbatical Leave: In order to maintain and enhance the professional competence and productivity of the administrative and professional staff, the University makes available the opportunity for exempt staff to apply for sabbatical leave.  To be eligible to apply for sabbatical leave, staff members must have completed at least six years of full-time, continuous service with the University and must have developed a well-articulated plan for professional, self-improvement activity.  Sabbatical leave will be for four-and-one-half months (the equivalent of an academic term) at full pay or nine months at half pay.  Application for sabbatical leave should be made by letter addressed to the immediate supervisor.

HR Learning & Development

SkillPort Online Learning: Faculty and staff have on-demand access to a desktop skills catalog of web-based courses designed to enhance professional development.  Employees log in using their myBama user name and CWID for the password. Departments can acquire additional licenses for Business and IT Professional courses.  For more information, click here.

Financial Planning Series and Retirewise: UA employees can register for a comprehensive financial education program that helps participants plan and save for a financially secure retirement. The program is in four modules of two hours each. To participate, employees can register by calling 1-866-801-3547. Call the HR Service Center at 348-7732 with questions.

Human Resources Learning & Development offers various training and development workshops every month.  Click here to find out what new opportunities are available this month.

Other Training Links Outside of HR

Optional Retirement Savings Plans Counseling
TIAA-CREF provides University employees with free, on-campus individual counseling sessions with a financial advisor. These confidential one-hour sessions are held in the Rose Administration Building. Employees can ask about investment options and strategies, retirement planning, or other investment matters. To view the upcoming schedule, click here. To schedule a session, call 1-800-732-8353.,  Paul Cimino 800-732-8353,  Bryan McLean 800-732-8353
VALIC also provides University employees free on-campus individual counseling sessions with a financial advisor. Employees can ask about investment options and strategies, retirement planning, or other investment matters. To view the upcoming schedule, click here. To schedule an appointment with the VALIC representative, contact Brett LaFerrera or Will Scroggins directly at the telephone number listed above.,  Brett LaFerrera 205-394-7105, Will Scroggins 205-887-1078

The University of Alabama Acts of Kindness - Employee Emergency Relief Fund

The purpose of the Acts of Kindness – Employee Emergency Relief Fund (“Fund”) is to provide appropriate relief to eligible faculty and staff of The University of Alabama (“UA”) who experience a qualifying event or emergency.  The Fund shall strive to accomplish that purpose by:


  • Encouraging supporters of UA to voluntarily support the Fund
  • Providing a mechanism for such support
  • Providing aid and support to UA faculty and staff

For additional information, click here.

Veteran Resources
As a veteran, spouse, or dependent of a veteran, you are entitled to certain benefits and are eligible to participate in certain programs.  The Veterans Services Office assists veterans, reservists, guardsmen, and dependents of disabled or deceased veterans. It also serves as a liaison between the student, and local and federal agencies, including State Department of Education and the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you have questions, please contact The University of Alabama Veterans Services at (205) 348-6770 or email

CommuteSmart Carpooling Program