- Final grades have been posted on MyBama. You can see the overall
class distribution and letter grade distribution on the Grades page.
- Thanks for a great semester. Have a good summer, and good luck
in your future classes.
- The final exam has been graded. You will be able to pick your
exams during lab this week, with the exception of the Monday lab.
Those students can stop by my office to pick up their finals. The
class average and distribution can be found on the Grades page.
- We will be using a seating chart for the final. We will also be
using two rooms (Shelby 151 and 150). The seating chart will be
posted in the class room on exam day. You can also download a copy
if you want to know which room you'll be in. Those of you in room
151 will have an assigned seat. If you are assigned to room 150,
there are no assigned seats, but you'll need to sit in alternate
- I have posted a supplementary course evaluation form that can
be accessed from the Handouts page. I would ask you to fill it out.
To encourage you to do so, there will be a 10 point bonus for filling
out the form. Instructions for claiming your bonus will be provided
once you submit your evaluation. The deadline to claim bonus points
is May 8th.
- Answer keys to all quizzes (through10) are now posted on the Answer
- Instructions for lab reports 8 and 9 were handed out in class
today. They can be downloaded from the class web site.
- The unknown spectroscopy problems will be handed out by your TAs
in lab this week. Make sure that you get a copy to do exp 9.
- The final exam for the course is Monday, May 1st. A study outline
is available on the Handouts page.
- Due to the IR spectrometer being down, you will not obtain your
own IR spectra. The spectra are posted on the Handouts page. Match
the spectrum number with the last number of your unknown ID.
- The bonus quiz, which can replace your lowest quiz grade, will
be given during lab next week.
- Next week is check out, you must come to lab and check out to
avoid a large fine.
- The IR spectrum of 4-acetyl anisole is posted on the handouts
page. You should have received a copy in lab.
- Answer keys for quizzes 4-8 have been posted on the Answer Keys
- Instructions for lab report #7 were handed out in class and are
available for download.
- The instructions for experiment #8 were handed out in class today.
They are available from the Handouts page.
- The IR spectra for experiment 6 were posted today. Sorry for the
delay, but I forgot about them over Spring Break. Those of you in
the Friday lab can turn your labs in to Justin next week (or turn
in an addendum if you already turned in your report).
- Reminder that labs will meet next week as usual, with the exception
of the Friday lab due to Honors Day.
- I have posted the average grades and overall grade distribution
up to this point so you can see how you compare to your peers.
- Have a great spring break.
- Class Schedule the Week after spring break: Lecture
will be held as usual on Monday March 27th. The Monday (001), Wednesday
(002), and Thursday (003) labs will not meet the week after spring
break. The Friday lab will meet, on March 31st as usual.
- Class Schedule the week of April 3rd: Class and
all labs will be held as normal, with the exception of the Friday
lab. The Friday lab will not meet due to Honors week.
- Instructions for lab report 6 are now available for download.
- The IR handout that Dr. Blackstock distributed in class is available
from the Handouts page.
- Instructions for lab report #5 and additional instructions for
the TLC part of experiment 6 are available for download from the
- The following handouts are now available from the Handouts page:
- Instructions for lab report #4
- Assignment of unknowns for experiment 5
- GC data for experiment 3 has now been posted on the handouts page.
- I have also posted some additional instructions for experiment
5 (TLC analysis of drugs) on the Handouts page.
- Instructions for lab report 3 are now available on the Handouts
- There are two important handouts for this week's experiment (exp
4). The first tells you which alcohol you should use and the second
provides an alternate set of instructions for isolating your alkene
product. These are available from the handouts page.
- Instructions for lab report 2 are now available for download from
the Handouts page.
- Instructions for lab report 1 are now available for download from
the Handouts page. This lab report is due next week during your
- The syllabus is now available for down load.
- Class begins this week. Everyone must attend the lecture on Monday,
and then check in on their lab day. Safety glasses will be required
for check in.
- This web site is currently being updated for the Spring 2006 semester.
Check back frequently for additional announcements and newly added
- If you want to access the Fall 2005 CH 237 site, click on the
link to the right.
- The first meeting of CH 237 for Spring 2006 will be on January
- You will need safety glasses for the first meeting of your lab,
which will take place the week of January 23rd.
Return to Kevin
Shaughnessy main page
Page prepared by Dr. Kevin Shaughnessy
The University of Alabama
These pages may be downloaded and linked
freely from other pages. The author reserves all rights to the material
contained herein. Questions, problems, or errors should be sent to