Essentials of Fish Husbandry,
Acquisition & Experimentation
Get Acquainted with IACUC
- Visit the University of Alabama Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee website here where you will find information about animal care training, links to the required training modules, and forms (also available here).
Training in Animal Acquisition, Care, and Maintenance
- All members of the Earley laboratory are required to read the following document (see links below) thoroughly before engaging in animal husbandry, maintenance, or experimentation in the Earley laboratory. This document contains essential information about how to:
1. Acquire IACUC training
2. Generate experimental protocols that are compliant with IACUC guidelines
3. Order fish from commercial suppliers or pet stores
4. Acquire fish from the laboratories of collaborators
5. Collect fish in the field
6. Prepare the proper documentation for fish acquisition and maintenance
Important forms included in this document are:
1. Animal Care Facility Registration Form (Appendix I)
2. UAACUP Health History Medical Evaluation Form (Appendix II)
3. Animal Care Facility Transient Worker Registration Form (Appendix III)
4. UA IACUC Proposal Modification Form (Appendix IV)
5. UA IACUC Proposed Animal Use Review Form (Appendix V)
6. Animal Acquisition Form - Commercial Suppliers & Pet Stores (Appendix VI)
7. Animal Acquisition Form - Fish Acquired from Collaborator Laboratory (Appendix VII)
8. Animal Acquisition Form - Fish Acquired from the Field (Appendix VIII)
Also, for fish orders, please download the ACF Animal Order form on this website under the IACUC forms link.
Any questions about this documentation should be addressed directly to Dr. Earley only; please do not try to clarify concerns with other members of the laboratory.
Download the document here in Word or PDF formats. I suggest that you download this document in Word format if you plan to fill out any of the associated forms.
- Download the field collections Excel file (to maintain an up-to-date record of your collections) here.
Easy Access to Fish Maintenance Documents
- All members of the Earley laboratory who engage in activities related to the husbandry or care of fishes are required to download and read the following standard operating procedures, available in Word or PDF formats.
There is a daily maintenance log located in Biology 228. This includes feeding, water quality checks, killifish hatchling maintenance and loading into the colony, and general fish room maintenance and quality assurance.
Weekly maintenance logs can be downloaded here
Directions on how to test water quality can be downloaded here
Directions on how to feed the fish can be downloaded here