I will try to keep this as up to date as possible (last update: May 11, 2013)
List of Publications
- (2013). Carotenoid-based coloration is mediated by predation risk, competition, and breeding status in female convict cichlid fish (Amatitlania siquia) under field conditions. Journal of Fish Biology, in review.
- (2013). Genetic subdivision and variation in selfing rates among Central American populations of the mangrove rivulus Kryptolebias marmoratus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, in review.
- (2013). The acute effects of ultraviolet-B radiation on sex steroid hormones and their receptors may contribute to the gender-bias of melanoma. Pigment Cell and Melanoma Research, in review.
- (2013). Experience effects: changes in perceived fighting ability or byproduct of metabolic changes?. Animal Behaviour, in review.
- (2013). Estrus in a secretive species: endogenous estradiol varies throughout the shed cycle and influences attractivity in wild northern watersnakes (Nerodia sipedon). Behaviour, in review.
- (2013). Phenotypic alteration by parasites: when might parasitism result in more optimal host phenotypes? Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, invited piece, in review.
- (2013). Instructors Manual to accompany Principles of Animal Behavior, 3rd Edition by Lee Alan Dugatkin. W.W. Norton & Company, in press.
- (2013). Winner and loser effects are modulated by hormonal states. Frontiers in Zoology 10:6.
- (2012). He who dares wins only sometimes: physiological stress and contest behaviour in Xiphophorus helleri. Behaviour 149: 977-1002.
- (2012). Differential responses of brain, gonad and muscle steroid levels to changes in social status and sex in a sequential and bidirectional hermaphroditic fish. PLoS ONE 7(12): e51158. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0051158.
- (2012). Effects of fighting experience on future contest success in the green anole (Anolis carolinensis). Ethology, 118: 821-834.
- (2012). Relationship between stress hormones and temperament within and between natural populations. Functional Ecology, 26: 637-645.
- (2011). Innate immune performance and steroid hormone profiles of pregnant versus nonpregnant snakes (Agkistrodon piscivorous). General & Comparative Endocrinology 174: 348-353.
- (2011). Metabolic costs of fighting are driven by contest performance in male convict cichlid fish. Animal Behaviour 82: 271-280.
- & Wright PA (2011). Behaviour drives morphology: voluntary emersion patterns shape gill structure in genetically identical individuals of the self-fertilizing mangrove rivulus, Kryptolebias marmoratus. Animal Behaviour 82: 39-47.
- & Smith LL (2011). Reproduction in male Eastern diamond-backed rattlesnakes (Crotalus adamanteus): seasonal relationship of plasma testosterone to dimension changes of the testis/kidney and mating season. Southeastern Naturalist 10: 95-108.
- & Wolf LL (2011). Aggressive behaviour in fishes: integrating information on contest costs. In: Fish Cognition and Behaviour, 2nd Edition (eds., C Brown, KN Laland & J Krause). Blackwell Publishing Ltd., pp. 108-134.
- & Dugatkin LA (2010). Behavior in groups. In: Evolutionary Behavioral Ecology (eds. D.F. Westneat & C.W. Fox). Oxford University Press, pp. 285-307.
- (2010). Social eavesdropping and the evolution of conditional cooperation and cheating strategies. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, 365: 2675-2686.
- Smith CF, Schuett GW, & Schwenk K (2009). The spatial and reproductive ecology of the copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) at the northeastern extreme of its range. Herpetological Monographs, 23: 45-73.
- Schuett GW, Reiserer RS & (2009). The evolution of bipedal postures in varanoid lizards. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 97: 652-663.
- Barnett L, , Ebert D & Calliet G (2009). Maturity, fecundity, and reproductive cycle of the white-spotted ratfish, Hydrolagus colliei. Marine Biology 156: 301-316.
- (2009). Instructor's Manual to accompany Principles of Animal Behavior (2nd Edition) by Lee Alan Dugatkin, W.W. Norton & Co. ISBN: 978-0-393-93306-2.
- Graham SP, Earley RL, Hoss SK, Schuett GW & Grober MS (2008). The reproductive biology of male cottonmouths (Agkistrodon piscivorous): do plasma steroid hormones predict the mating season? General and Comparative Endocrinology 159: 226-235.
- Wong S, Dykstra M, Campbell J, Earley RL (2008). Measuring water-borne cortisol in convict cichlids (Amatitlania nigrofasciata): is the procedure a stressor? Behaviour 145: 1283-1305
- Scott AP, Hirschenhauser K, Bender N, Oliveira RF, Earley RL, Sebire M, Ellis T, Pavlidis M, Hubbard P, Huertas M & Canario AVM (2008). Non-invasive measurement of steroids in fish holding water: important considerations when applying the procedure to behaviour studies. Behaviour 145: 1307-1328.
- Earley RL & Hsu Y. (2008). Reciprocity between endocrine state and contest behavior in the killifish, Kryptolebias marmoratus. Hormones & Behavior 53: 442-451.
- Smith CF, Schwenk K, Earley RL, Schuett GW (2008). Sexual dimorphism of the tongue in a North American pitviper. Journal of Zoology 274: 367-374.
- Reiserer RS, Schuett GW & Earley RL (2008). Dynamic aggregations of newborn sibling rattlesnakes exhibit stable thermoregulatory properties. Journal of Zoology 274: 277-283.
- Lorenzi V, Earley RL, Pepper DR & Grober MS (2008). Diurnal rhythms of cortisol, 11-ketotestosterone, testosterone, and estradiol in the bluebanded goby (Lythrypnus dalli). General and Comparative Endocrinology 155: 438-446.
- Rodgers EW, Earley RL & Grober MS (2007). Social status determines the expression of sexual phenotype in the bi-directional sex changing bluebanded goby (Lythrypnus dalli). Journal of Fish Biology 70: 1660-1668.
- Bonnie KE & Earley RL (2007). Expanding the scope of social information use. Animal Behaviour 74: 171-181.
- Attum O, Carranza S, Baha El Din, S, Earley RL, Arnold EN, Kingsbury E. (2007). An evaluation of the taxonomic validity of Testudo werneri. Amphibia-Reptilia 28: 393-401.
- Earley RL & Dugatkin LA (2006). Merging social hierarchies: effects on dominance rank in male green swordtail fish (Xiphophorus helleri). Behavioural Processes 73: 290-298.
- Hsu Y, Earley RL, Wolf LL (2006). Modulating aggression through experience. In: Fish Cognition and Behaviour (eds., C. Brown, K. N. Laland & J. Krause). Blackwell Publishing Ltd., pp. 96-113.
- Schuett GW, Repp RA, Taylor EN, DeNardo DF, Earley RL, Van Kirk EA & Murdoch MJ. (2006). Winter profile of plasma sex steroid levels in wild male western diamond-backed rattlesnakes, Crotalus atrox (Serpentes, Viperidae). General and Comparative Endocrinology 149: 72-80.
- Earley RL (2006). Xiphophorus: carving a niche towards a broader understanding of aggression and dominance. Zebrafish, 3: 287-298.
- Earley RL, Edwards JT, Aseem O, Felton K, Blumer LS, Karom M & Grober MS (2006). Social interactions tune aggression and stress responsiveness in a territorial cichlid fish (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus). Physiology & Behavior, 88: 353-363.
- Rodgers EW, Earley RL & Grober MS (2006). Elevated 11-ketotestosterone during parental behavior in the bluebanded goby (Lythrypnus dalli). Hormones & Behavior, 49: 610-614.
- Lorenzi V, Earley RL & Grober MS. (2006). Preventing behavioral interactions with a male facilitates protogynous sex change in female bluebanded gobies (Lythrypnus dalli). Behavioral Ecology & Sociobiology, 59: 715-722.
- Hsu YY, Earley RL & Wolf LL. (2006). Modulation of aggressive behavior by fighting experience: mechanisms and contest outcomes. Biological Reviews, 81: 33-74.
- Earley RL (2006). Wee guppies pack an evolutionary punch. A book review of Anne E. Magurran's Evolutionary Ecology: The Trinidadian Guppy (Oxford University Press, New York, 206 p.). Ecology, 87: 2682-2683.
- Dzieweczynski T, Earley RL, Greene T & Rowland WJ. (2005). Audience effect is context-dependent in Siamese fighting fish, Betta splendens. Behavioral Ecology 16: 1025-1030.
- Schuett GW, Hardy Sr. DL , Earley RL & Greene HW. (2005). Does prey size induce head skeleton phenotypic plasticity during early ontogeny in the snake Boa constrictor? Journal of Zoology, London 267: 363-369.
- Schuett GW, Hardy Sr. DL, Greene HW, Earley RL, Grober MS, Van Kirk EA & Murdoch WJ (2005). Sympatric rattlesnakes with contrasting mating systems show differences in seasonal patterns of plasma sex steroids. Animal Behaviour, 70: 257-266.
- Earley RL, Druen M & Dugatkin LA (2005) Watching fights does not alter a bystander's response toward naive conspecifics in male green swordtail fish (Xiphophorus helleri). Animal Behaviour 69: 1139-1145.
- Earley RL & Dugatkin LA. (2005) Three poeciliid pillars: fighting, mating, and networking. In: Animal Communication Networks. (ed., PK McGregor). Cambridge University Press, pp. 84-113.
- Dugatkin LA & Earley RL (2004). Individual recognition, dominance hierarchies, and winner and loser effects. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 271: 1537-1540.
- Earley RL, Blumer L & Grober MS (2004). The gall of subordination: changes in gallbladder function associated with social stress. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 271: 7-13.
- Earley RL (2004). Instructor's Manual to accompany Principles of Animal Behavior (1st Edition) by Lee Alan Dugatkin, W.W. Norton & Co., ISBN 0-393-92464-5.
- Brosnan SF, Earley RL & Dugatkin LA (2003). Observational learning and predator inspection in guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Ethology, 109: 823-834.
- See Erratum here Earley RL, Tinsley M & Dugatkin LA (2003). To see or not to see: does previewing a future opponent affect the contest behavior of green swordtail males (Xiphophorus helleri)? Naturwissenschaften 90: 226-230.
- Dugatkin LA & Earley RL (2003). Group fusion: the impact of winner, loser, and bystander effects on hierarchy formation in large groups. Behavioral Ecology 14: 367-373.
- Earley RL, Attum O & Eason P. (2002). Varanid combat: perspectives from game theory. Amphibia-Reptilia 23(4): 469-485.
- Earley RL & Dugatkin LA (2002). Eavesdropping on visual cues in swordtail (Xiphophorus helleri) fights - a case for networking. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 269: 943 952.
- Earley RL, Hsu Y & Wolf LL (2000). The use of standard aggression testing methods to predict combat behaviour and contest outcome in Rivulus marmoratus dyads (Teleostei: Cyprinodontidae). Ethology, 106: 743-761.
- Attum O, Earley RL, Bayless M & Eason P (2000) The agonistic behavior of Bosc's monitors (Varanus exanthematicus, Bosc 1792) in captivity. Herpetological Bulletin 73: 22-26.
- Earley RL (2000). A book review of Christopher Boehm's Hierarchy in the Forest: The Evolution of Egalitarian Behavior (1999, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, 292 p.. American Scientist (March-April Edition).