January 23, 2012
IntroPsych News provides periodic announcements, course updates, and additional teaching resources for introductory psychology instructors at the University of Alabama.
1. UA moving to Blackboard Learn: eLearning will no longer be supported after December 2012. Blackboard Learn brings new features such as mobile learning, closer integration of multimedia, and student progress alerts. Blackboard Learn is NOT an update of the eLearning system, but an entirely different platform with new and changed tool capabilities and interface design.
Information sessions about the transition from eLearning to Blackboard Learn are scheduled for Wednesday 1/25 from 2-3 PM, Tuesday 2/14 from 1-2 PM, and Friday 3/9 from 10-11 AM and will be held in 205 Gorgas Library. To register for a session and receive an email reminder, please go to http://frc.ua.edu/tutorials/
58-2/. Questions or comments? Send to email@example.com .
2. Interview with Michael Gazzaniga: You and your students may appreciate this video and written interview with the lead author of the textbook that many of us use: Decoding the brain's cacophony.
3. Aging and intelligence: Here's an accessible summary of the latest research on aging brains. The surprises keep coming: A sharper mind, middle age and beyond.
4. Spring semester grade information:
Friday, January 20, 2012 -- Midterm grading opened.
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 – Last day to post midterm grades.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 -- First day to post final grades.
Tuesday, May 8, 2012 [24:00 hours/midnight] -- Last day to post final grades.
5. Psychology headlines from around the world: Notice the news feed at the bottom of this page. It contains a frequently-updated set of links to psychology-related reports in the media.
6.How to import scantron test scores to eLearning: See the tutorial from the Faculty Resource Center: http://frc.ua.edu/tutorials/
7. Teaching resources: There are several resources on the Teaching of Psychology course website and I invite you to make use of them. Should you find additional resources that might be helpful to others, please let me know and I will post them. Resources for New Instructors contains information on assisting students and on teaching. The Multimedia Library is a compilation of videos, demos, and websites. You can find these resources by going to the Teaching of Psychology course website (http://bama.ua.edu/~sprentic/
695%20home%20page%20frameset.) and clicking on the desired link in the left margin. htm
I’m available for assistance with issues that arise in your course this semester. Please don’t hesitate to contact me.